Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I think my puppy ate a plastic wire used to tie plants to a

Customer Question

I think my puppy ate a plastic wire used to tie plants to a pole two days ago and he coughs about 3 times today as if he is going to vomit but nothing comes up. He is a mixed lab rescue pup. Is there anything I can give him? He is a about 12 lbs and 12 weeks old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Duke
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Going on 2 days, chances are that the coughing doesn't have anything to do with the wire. It is possible with the type of coughing you are describing that this is an upper respiratory infection. They will usually cough and look like they are bringing something up. Sometimes they swallow it, and sometimes it comes up as a white, foamy substance. The only safe OTC cough medication you can give dogs is Robitussin DM (it has to be the DM formulation). 1/2 teaspoon every 4-6 hours as needed for coughing. If not better by Monday, though, or getting worse at any time, I would recommend that you get him to the vet for an evaluation. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John