Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

We found maggots on s back near s tail. we washed m with

Customer Question

we found maggots on his back near his tail. we washed him with shampoo and cleaned him really well. Is there anything else we could do for him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is 13, and his name is***** is a good boy and has had diabetes for several years. He has insulin twice a day.
JA: I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scrappy?
Customer: The diabetes is managed. Just worried about the maggots we found
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Scrappy! In his case, I would definitely recommend a visit to your veterinarian for this issue. Most often, there is going to be underlying damage to the skin that may not be easily visible underneath the fur. To treat these guys, we need to shave the area and around the area where maggots were found (often they may be more extensive than we first realize), and then remove the maggots (sometimes they can be burrowed into the skin as well). We often give them a treatment of ivermectin or another drug that will help kill any remaining maggots we may have missed, and then debride the wound, removing any dead tissue. We then will often treat the wound topically with antibiotic ointments but also give a systemic antibiotic and pain medication for these guys as well. Here is an article on this topic: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/worms-parasites/myiasis-maggots-in-dogs

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would giving him a Tramadol from a previous prescription he had help him to relax?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is upset and not himself
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

The tramadol is a pain reliever but doesn't provide any anti-inflammatory effects, so isn't usually our first choice for these situations. The other thing that makes me hesistant to give him tramadol is the fact that often these dogs with maggots may be weak or debilitated and tramadol can make dogs lethargic/depressed which may not be what we want in this situation. I would truly recommend taking him in to your vet or the emergency vet if your clinic is closed.

Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you and Scrappy!