Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

He squeals when he i have taken m to the vet 3 times and

Customer Question

he squeals when he poops i have taken him to the vet 3 times and they tell me they find nothing wrong with him
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maxx, hes a shih tzu and he's 4 years old, they have taken xrays and done anal exams
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meaux?
Customer: they ask what kind of food we feed him, which we were told was a very good food and he gets raw hide bones every once in a while , hes been our vet since we got Maxx
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with Maxx today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay the following:

1. Does he squeal every time he poops, or how often?
  2. When did this problem start?
  3. Any other health issues?
  4. Does he squeal out any other times- or just when passing stool?
  5. Is he neutered?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Every time he poops he squeals,it started about a month ago,no other health issues,no squeals except when pooping, yes he is neutered

Poor guy! I'm so sorry to hear that. There are a few possibilities here.

-He may have a lower back issue that causes pain when he postures to defecate. This is not always visible on x-rays, and sometimes more advanced imaging such as MRI or CT is needed, for which he would need specialty referral.

-He may have some sort of polyp or growth inside the rectum- it could be too deep for the veterinarian to feel. An endoscopy may be needed in order to detect this.

-He may have a problem with his prostate; this is more common in intact male dogs, but can occur in those who have been neutered as well.

-He may have rectal fissures that are not visible- this is not a problem I have seen in dogs, but it is well-known in people.

-His bowel movements may be firm/hard, and painful when he passes them. Or, he may have had a firm/painful one in the past, and now the anticipation of that happening again causes him to yelp.

My recommendations are as follows-

-Increase water intake to help soften stool. This can be done by adding water to his kibble, or giving him canned as well as dry food. Encourage him to drink more water (add ice cubes, offer him water with a little chicken broth (low sodium) throughout the day.

-Sometimes increasing fiber can actually help soften the stool a bit. You can add 1/4 teaspoon of miralax to his food twice daily- give it a few days to see if this helps.

-Stop giving the rawhides- these do not digest well, and can sometimes hurt when passing out through the stool.

-If none of the above are helping, ask your veterinarian about trying a stool softener such as lactulose.

-If none of the above measures help, he may need the additional testing I discussed above (abdominal ultrasound to check prostate, endoscopy to check inside rectum and colon, CT to check his spine).

Has this helped?

Hi, just wanted to check how Maxx is doing and to see if you have any other questions for me? If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebekah Kane