Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Her bowel movements are very hard and in small amounts, her

Customer Question

her bowel movements are very hard and in small amounts
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: her bowel movements are very hard and in small amounts
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she seems to hurt over all her stomach area between her front and bacl legs
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes feet are ok
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: lady bug about 1 year old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: ladybug
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ladybug?
Customer: she isn't as active as she normally is
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on the signs you have reported, we'd be concerned about these hard feces putting her at risk of constipation; especially if she is only passing small amounts. Therefore, as long as you are sure that she has not eaten something non-edible (ie bone, toy, rocks, cloth, etc) and she is not showing any signs of obstruction (ie restlessness, belly tenderness/tenseness, or pale gums) then you can try some home supports to encourage the movement of feces through her GI. If you do think she could have ingested something she should not have or is showing those warning signs, then we'd want her seen urgently by the ER vet.

Otherwise, if we have dogs with a mild constipation there are a few tricks you can try at home to facilitate fecal movement through the gut. First, you can offer some cow milk. Some dogs are like little lactose intolerant people, an this can aid in getting things down the gut a bit quicker (ie. Cause mild diarrhea in an unconstipated animal). If she is mildly constipated, this might just get things moving in the right direction.

Furthermore, you can also treat her with cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the GI/rectum. .Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil. These are ideal to give in food, but if you give it orally via syringe due take care when doing so (since aspiration of these would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, if she is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). Furthermore, just in case she isn't drinking well at the moment, you also want to encourage her to drink as hard stools and constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if she won’t drink properly.

Overall, as long as you don't suspect your wee one of eating a foreign body and she isn't showing the aforementioned signs, I would advise the above for Ladybug. While you are doing this, I would advise that you continue to monitor fecal output. I would advise trying the above measures, but if you aren't seeing regular and normal feces in the next 12-24 hours, or your lass begins to vomit or worsens in any way, then she needs to be evaluated by a vet at that stage. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?