Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

We have a 6 week old puppy we just got yesterday. He went

Customer Question

We have a 6 week old puppy we just got yesterday. He went out to poop and haD trouble going. We tried to see what was going on, and found a piece of pink like tissue protruding from for anus. What can we do for him??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kody
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kody?
Customer: He had his first shot on 7/7.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does it look like the anus is inflamed?

Or tissue actually protruding from the anus?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me see if I can get a pic.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I will keep an eye out for it.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
See if this will work
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

It has; though I am sorry to say but it looks like we have a mild early stage rectal prolapse. Its good that it isn't severe yet (they can prolapse inches of internal gut and it is an emergency when they do), but in this case we'd really want to have your wee one seen just now. We'd want the local vet to put this back in with care but also start puppy safe anti-inflammatories to reduce the inflammation and prevent Kody from just pushing this right back out as they so often do.As well, we'd want them to check for blockages and constipation underlying since we may need to address those (ie enema) to prevent his straining to the point of pushing internal tissues outside.

If there is any delay in having him seen, do make sure to keep this moist (since drying out can damage this tissue) and you can also apply KY jelly to help do so. As well, you can apply Preparation H (no licking allowed for Kody though) to reduce the inflammation, discomfort, and reduce risk of him pushing more out.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?