Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog got a hold of a brand new 30 day supply of

Customer Question

My dog got a hold of a brand new 30 day supply of Montelukast 5 mg tablets sometime last evening and I just found the empty bottle. He is a beagle that weighs 55lbs.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your beagle?
Customer: I didn't know if there was anything I should do for him. I just found the empty bottle this morning.
JA: Where does your beagle seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't seem to hurt.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Gizmo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you give me an estimate of how long ago he may have had this (in hours, since I cannot see your time zone)?

How is he just now?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you but as this is very likely an overdose with some time for absorption, we do need to tread with care here. In regards ***** ***** signs we could see with this would include belly pain, GI upset (ie vomiting, appetite loss, etc), wobbliness, dizziness, and lethargy. Thankfully it is a high LD50 which means they have to have thousands of milligrams per kilograms before death is likely.

Now since this sounds like we may be past 2 hours since he had these, if it has been less then 8 hours you can consider using activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise as we closely monitor for those aforementioned signs, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.