Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

What do I do if my dog ate plant food

Customer Question

What do I do if my dog ate plant food
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago, how many minutes or hours ago did this happen. ?

2. Is your dog showing any adverse symptoms of any sort?

3. What is the brand name of this product and roughly how much was ingested.

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We are not sure how long ago this happened and we don't know how much he ate. The brand name of the product is Gardner & Bloome Bone Meal. It is natural and organic. The nitrogen says 3% and phosphate 15%. He has thrown up and can't seem to sit down and get comfortable for very long. He seems to be moving his mouth funny. Opening and closing it.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Dogs are often very attracted to this sort of product no doubt due to the bone meal, my previous experience is that this sort of product does not present any particular danger in terms of toxicity but many dogs suffer a transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea, this may persist for 24 - 48 hours but will then usually gradually resolve.

2. The best thing to do is to put him on very light feeding for a day or so but make sure he has constant access to water, also the likes of Pepcid could help settle his stomach. Please follow this link for more info including dose rates etc. : LINK

3. However do not take risks, if he deteriorates further of if his condition doses not quickly start to resolve then the best thing is to have a local vet check him over.

4. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Spoke to another poison control person and got more info. We need to take him to the vet now.

Never a bad idea to have a vet check him over ...

Good luck with your dog,

Dr Scott