Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I missed s insulin shot tonight, Bear is just now turnes 6,

Customer Question

I missed his insulin shot tonight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear is just now turnes 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is something which happens now and again and is no real problem, your best approach is to do nothing for present but give Bear his next shot at the next regular time.

2. Sure this will lead to a temporary spike in blood sugar but this will be very short lived and not dangerous, problems such as secondary changes in the eye etc. only occur when the blood sugar is too high for long periods of time such as many weeks or months. This way you will not be guessing how much insulin to give to compensate and so there will be no risk of a hypoglycaemic crisis { too much insulin } which can be very dangerous.

{ I am diabetic myself by the way }

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bear's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.