Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My girl has developed very swollen ears, we have been to our

Customer Question

My girl has developed very swollen ears, we have been to our vet 6 times, antibiotics help but only for a while and then it comes back. Head shaking, head on one side whilst walking, crusty discharge and obviously tender, any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This swelling that you see is most likely an aural hematoma. This is caused by your sweet Brittany shaking her head causing a release of the adhesions that hold the skin on either side of his ear to the cartilage in between. The body's reaction is to fill this area up with blood and fluid. This must be lanced and drained by your vet. It must also be sutured in numerous places to reform the adhesions that caused this in the first place. Often this head shaking that caused this condition in your dog is due to an ear infection so this must be examined and treated as well. It appears that your vet has tried treatments but the surgical approach may be Brittany's only hope to resolve this. This LINK will explain in more detail.

New treatments for this are oral steroids which makes this procedure not required. Ask your vet about this. Here is a website with more information: LINK

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Matthew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brittany. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta