Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He has had a discharge in s left eye that is gooey and ends

Customer Question

He has had a discharge in his left eye that is gooey and ends up closing his eyelid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's name is ***** ***** is a 4 yr old Scottie
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bailey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: Recently had blood work that indicated problem with his liver- vet put him on Denamarin
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Please don't hesitate to have Bailey's eye looked at by his veterinarian. When just one eye is affected, we need to consider trauma to that eye in the form of corneal abrasion, ulceration, or laceration. Such an eye needs to be thoroughly examined for a foreign body as well - a foxtail, e.g. The eye needs to be visually inspected, the cornea stained with fluoroscein in an attempt to identify corneal damage, a Schirmer tear test performed to see if adquate tears are being formed, and its intraocular pressure assessed. Time is of the essence because eyes can "go south" in a hurry.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?