Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I think gave a .41 mg of pimobendan to a healthy 9 lb poodle

Customer Question

i think gave a .41 mg of pimobendan to a healthy 9 lb poodle by accident will it hurt her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: izzy age 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Izzo?
Customer: no no problems with her. Her sister takes it for congestive heart failure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is nothing much to worry about, that dose in a healthy dog given on a one off basis is unlikely to cause any harm. There are no special measures you need take.

2. I say the above because Pimobendan is normally dosed in the dog at a dose rate of between 0.05 to 0.15 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given every 12 hours. The maximum safe dose rate for Izzy would therefor be { 9 pounds X 0.15 mg } = 1.35 mg.

3. You can see from the above that the dose you gave { 0.41 mg } is well within a published dose rate and so no adverse effects would normally be expected. You can read how this drug is used in dogs { Including dose rates } via this link : LINK

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Izzy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.