Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She's finding it hard to walk, sort of tucked up ,and really

Customer Question

She's finding it hard to walk , sort of tucked up ,and really slow. Two nights ago she had a fun walk and run and suddenly about 9 pm she gave a Yelp, vommitted,and hasn't moved freely again. Also a couple of months ago she had 3 fits over 2consecutive nights. What could be wrong. She's 12
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charli peaches.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charli?
Customer: She's a poodle Maltese. She's still eating smaller amount. She's still going outside to wee. She shivers unless she's in front of the heater. I have a coat on her as well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Given the signs, this is most likely IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). This is where a disc ruptures or herniates in the back pressing on the spinal cord which causes weakness and nerve roots which causes pain. Signs can be as mild as reluctance to walk/ climb stairs to as severe as full paralysis.

Diagnosis is made on neuro exam and then can be confirmed with advanced imaging like MRI,CT or myelogram.

Treatment is based on the stage of the disease:

>Mild weakness/ pain can be treated with strict exercise restriction and anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) + other pain meds (Gabapentin,Tramadol). Crate confinement for the majority of the day with only short leash walks outside is key, and I like to do this for 1-3 weeks.

>Severe neurologic deficits and paralysis require back decompressive surgery to correct.

It sounds like your dog will do fine with the more conservative management.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.