Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a Boxer with a slight fever. She has had massive

Customer Question

I have a Boxer with a slight fever. She has had massive diarrhea last night. Smelled like sickness a poisioness smell. Which she has not been into any poison. Today I gave her pepto bismol and clear pedialtre. And rubbed her down with cool cloth. She still has a slight fever. What can I give her. Weight is 70 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what Weight ate?
Customer: No she must have gotten into something outside
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Weight?
Customer: Not at the moment. I can't think of anything else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

You don't want to actively cool a dog with a fever. The reason, is because the brain set point is high right now. That high set point is to try to get rid of a pathogen. If you cool them with towels, that just makes the body have to work that much harder. The key with fevers is to treat the underlying cause. Instead of cooling them, they actually do better if you put a blanket on them so they don't have to work as hard. It's like when you have a fever and you have the chills and can't seem to get warm.

I would ideally want to put her on an oral antibiotic like Metronidazole. If you can't get her seen, then I would just wait it out and let the body fight this off. You can give some canned pumpkin with her food as the extra fiber will help with the diarrhea.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.