Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate about 4 pills of my Phetermine about 15 minutes

Customer Question

My dog ate about 4 pills of my Phetermine about 15 minutes ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Remi and 7 months, no vet offices are open and the ER Vet said to call animal poison control. They charge 65 just for the call
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Animal?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Phentermine is an amphetamine-like drug which is poorly tolerated by dogs. We need to induce emesis by dosng Remi with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight. You can do so by using a small poultry baster placed between Remi's cheek teeth and cheek. Remi should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

In one study, phentermine dosed at just 0.23 mg/lb increased the dogs' blood pressure significantly. The onset of action was 1 hour and effects lasted 12 hours.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help. Looks like we found all the pills, but just in case we missed one we are doing what you advised above. Thank you again

Thank goodness. Depending upon Remi's weight, 4 pills could represent life-threatening intoxication. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.