Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Looking opinion. My 5 year old dog has had issues unresolved

Customer Question

Looking for another opinion. My 5 year old dog has had issues unresolved for 2 years and not because we haven't been seeing the vet regularly. He sits suddenly, many times during his walk from the upstairs bedroom to the downstairs living room. Many, many times during a day. Prefers to lay down on a cool floor. Vet has looked at and expressed his anal sacs, pills for parasites, Xray of lower body for obstruction. It started out with his constant licking of his buttocks and penis. He never scootches on the floor but rather sits down alarmingly hard and often as though it provides some relief. I can only imagine he is suffering and I'm a loss for what to look for as it is getting worse. Doc talks about accupuncture or other medicine, but I wish to find out the cause. Would you have some suggestions on what could be tested?
He was diagnosed with degenerative joint disease (english cream golden retriever) and hip displaysia at 9 months. He takes Rovera (Rhimadyl) daily along with supplements. His issues in my eyes are internal like bladder, urinary, anal. What tests would give us answers?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

My guess would be that this is a disc or spinal issue. In a golden, the most likely area is the lumbo-sacral (LS) junction. They can get disc herniations or narrowing at this space. This leads to pain and it almost gives a hip dysplasia look to the dog. Sometimes we can get a pain response when we push up on the tail or pick up both rear legs by the thigh and push them upwards.

The true test to diagnose this is an MRI. That will show you narrowing of the spinal canal, nerve compression or disc herniation. CT is ok, but MRI gives us a clear answer.

I would consult with a neurologist. Take some videos of what he does at home first, though, so they know what is going on. That will help a lot in making the diagnosis. If it is the LS space, they could potentially remove the disc or stabilize that segment to reverse or decrease the signs.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.
Hi Diane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kunu. How is everything going?