Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog Mince is almost 10 years. He is till fit but he

Customer Question

Hello.So my dog Mince is almost 10 years. He is till fit but he occasionally pukes yellow liquid and loves to eat grass when he is not feeling well. Should I be worried about this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Eating nondigestible greens appears to be of evolutionary benefit because it often results in vomiting which empties the stomach of nondigestibles and infectious agents. It shouldn't be encouraged, however, as it will encourage more vomiting in an already vomiting patient. How often is Mince puking? Once a month isn't alarming; once weekly is...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He would vomit 2 times per day sometimes and then he wouldn't do it for a few weeks but sometimes pukes a few times within a week. So it comes and goes.

This still sounds excessive to me. I'd investigate Mince further by starting with a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests including a specCPL blood test which is most specific for detecting the presence of pancreatitis. If nothing untoward were found, an abdominal ultrasound is the next step. It's the most sensitive and readily available imaging modality for the gastrointestinal tract itself - an area poorly represented by blood and urine testing. Finally, scoping and and biopsy of his GI tract might be needed to identify the etiology of his vomiting. We'd be looking for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) mainly, and so if we reached that point in the diagnostic process, presumptive therapy for IBD with a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone, the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole, or both would be reasonable to see how it affected him. A hypoallergenic diet trial might be considered as well. It's not likely to be the problem at his age but food intolerance is seen at any age and even if my patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.