Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Both of our Dogs have had diarreha going on 5 days. We have

Customer Question

Both of our Dogs have had diarreha going on 5 days. We have had them for about 10 years and this has never happened. We took one of them to a groomer for the first time and then the diarreha started in both of them that night.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dogs have diarrhea. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Could they have eaten anything at the groomer that started the diarrhea?

Where they directly exposed to dogs at the groomer or share water bowls that could have spread infection or parasites?

I would start them on probiotics (beneficial bacterial supplements) such as Fortiflora, Proviable, Culturelle. I would also take a stool sample of the diarrhea to your veterinarian to be examined microscopically for parasites and worms.

If the probiotics do not help, I would next start them on metronidazole, which in addition to being an antibiotic, has an anti inflammatory effect on the colon lining.

If they are eating normally, try a bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice.

Let me know if this helps, and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have no heard back from you! Please let me know if you have any more questions and let me know how they are doing.