Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

6 year old male ShihTzu fell on deck legs twitching seconds

Customer Question

6 year old male ShihTzu fell on deck legs twitching for 30 seconds picked him up seems ok now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Were the legs twitching before or after he fell on the deck?

Did he lose consciousness?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No No
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

On the first question, I wanted to know about if his legs were twitching before or after falling on the deck. Which one was it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
legs were twitching after no he did not lose consciousness
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he seems ok now
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
legs were twitching afterwards no he did not lose consciousness
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the information. It is possible that he just lost his footing and slightly strained something, hence the twitching legs. Sometimes they will recover quickly from that. If he wasn't running around or jumping, and was just standing there when he fell, I would be more concerned about a possible mild seizure. With a partial or very mild seizure, they may just fall and have mild switching and recover immediately. If he is acting normal right now, it should be fine to just monitor him. I would try to keep a careful eye on him for the next 24 hours, though. If the episode happens again, I would be more concerned about a seizure. At that point, I would have him checked out by a vet and potentially get some blood work ran. Some dogs can have weakness if there are other more severe illnesses going on, such as anemia, liver problems or kidney problems, to name a few, but I wouldn't expect them to recover so quickly. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.