Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Last night, our dog vomited up food, and we found a stomach

Customer Question

Hi!
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Last night, our dog vomited up food, and we found a stomach worm in it, and I'm wondering if something like heartgaurd would take care of it, or we have to take him to the vet. We don't really have the money for a 100+vet visit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, I was making some soup and I think a small carrot chunk and a bit of garlic fell and he ate it before I could get to it, but other than that no
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sol, and he's about 13 weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sol,?
Customer: No, not that I can think of. Oh! He tried to eat one of my plants the other day, but I got to him before he really got it. But I think he ate a small leaf. I didn't see it in the throw up but that might very made him vomit also. It wasn't a lethal amount, and it was just a spider plant but I'm always cautious with house plants
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. Honestly, it depends on the type of worm it is. Some worms respond differently to different dewormers. In general, Heartgard Plus will get many of your standard intestinal worms. To be on the safe side, I would probably pick up some dewormer from your nearest pet store. A fenbendazole based dewormer has broader coverage and gets most worms. If you want to know for sure that he has the right dewormer, your vet would have to either run a fecal or send the worm off for identification. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John