How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10217
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog chewed on and broke a AAA dry cell battery from the

Customer Question

My dog chewed on and broke a AAA dry cell battery from the air conditioner remote. One of them she just chewed on but there was no leaking. The other one she broke apart and the only thing that I think went in her mouth is the black powder. I'm very worried, all the vets in my area are closed for the weekend because of a national holiday.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If she didn't swallow the battery, chances are that she will be fine. The biggest concern with ingesting batteries is that acid is corrosive to the stomach lining and can cause severe ulcerations, even a perforation. With full battery ingestion, veterinary attention is absolutely necessary, there is nothing you can do at home. If she just bit into the battery, she should be okay. The concern would be more corrosion around the mouth. If you don't see any sores or redness, she will probably be fine. Rinsing the mouth out is a good idea. You can repeat that. It would be a good idea to give her a little milk as well. The basic property of milk can help to neutralize the any acid. Warning, it may cause some diarrhea, especially if she is lactose intolerant like so many dogs are. If you notice any pain or sores associated with the mouth, or if she is vomiting, has bloody stool or not eating; I would see if there are any open or emergency vets in your area. I am not sure if there are any in Pakistan. You can even call around to see if any vets make house calls. Giving something like Pepcid (or equivalent brand in Pakistan) can't hurt. 2.5mg per 5-10 lbs of body weight daily is typical dose and is usually safe for dogs. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hi Zara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco Chanel. How is everything going?

Dr. John