Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My little dog (8 yr old Shih tzu) has been chewing on s

Customer Question

my little dog (8 yr old Shih tzu) has been chewing on his front leg/foot around the dewclaw. It looks really red and irritated. would it be a safe thing (and a useful thing) to put neosporin on it and cover it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, that will be safe. This is often caused by some form of irritation that is causing Sweet Sweeney to continue to chew on this which will not allow it to heal and make it worse. Apply Neosporin to that area and then on top apply a coating of Cortaid or another over the counter cortisone creme and place a bandage on this so Sweeney cannot get to it. Do this for a couple days and this should heal up unless there is a foreign body within the area that will need to be removed. This is unlikely considering the area involved.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****