Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She is bleeding from the rectum. There seems to be a

Customer Question

She is bleeding from the rectum. There seems to be a hardness at the rectum. She frequently has anal gland problems and we go to the mountains frequently. On return from the mountains she seems to have worse anal gland swelling usually but she has never had anything like this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She is a 12 year old lhasa apsa. She takes novox carprofen 25 mg daily for arthritic pain
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you post a picture on this thread?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Is she licking the area?

4- Does the feces have blood?

5- Does she have diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just noticed it this morning. She is not licking the area or dragging her bottom as she usually does when her anal glands are swollen. Yesterday I noticed maybe a small amount of blood on one of her stools. No diarrhea. She is eating and drinking. Seems happy and alert. It seems like a lot of blood to me, but once I cleaned her it now seems to have stopped. She does not want to take a BM though.

Thank you for the picture. Can you move the hair on the skin on the left of the anal sphincter at around 8 o'clock and tell me if the skin is opened (can't see well the details)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here's another photo. There doesn't seem to be a laceration in that area however I took another photo and there does seem to be a little blood coming from a hole on the anus and maybe from inside. Not sure if you can see this from the photo.

I can't see the whole on the anus, is it the little red dot at around 6 o'clock?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But I saw a little blood from the anus too. Not a lot though.

So, is it fair to say that right now you are not seeing the source of the blood (I can't see it in the pictures)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, initially I suspected this could be an infected or impacted anal gland. But, I am not seeing any evidence in the picture consistent with this; When we see bloody stool this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian; she may need some testing like xrays or blood work to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Stop the carprofen until she is seen by family veterinarian. She may need a different class of pain killer like Tramadol.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter