Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is a year old and i think she may have ate something

Customer Question

My dog is a year old and i think she may have ate something other than dog food. She is week and she is whinning/ moning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Its too late to take her right now and she breast feeding is it ok to continue to let her feed the pups?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Her name is leia
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you mean she ate both their food?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, distension, tenderness, or tensing?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting? Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

You noted she is weak, do you mean lethargic or struggle to get up and move?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her belly is not hurting and seems normal her gums are pale/pink. She wont take anything right now. Food/water. And she is walking fine but seems more sleepy at the moment.
She is breast feeding too. Should i stop her feeding the pups right now?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She can walk but does not seem to want too. She is laying down right now and seems pretty out of it. Meaning tired.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Would you say that is her normal gum color you are seeing?

Are there any toxins or plants or things missing that may be what she has eaten?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would say her gums are normal color. No plants or anything that missing.
But lately she is eat cat poop??? I have been trying to watch her but sometimes she gets away with it. Could that hurt her?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you again,

Good, I am glad that they are and there is no signs of odd ingestions that you can find. And I'd note that cat poop can certainly cause gut upset but isn't toxic or really dangerous for them (of course we'd want to keep her wormed if she is eating this so that she doesn't pass worms to the pups).

Anyway, since that is the case, there isn't any reason to remove the pups. The only caveat to that is that we don't have many treatment options at home if she is nursing. So, the ideal would be to leave the pups on her and get her local vet to treat with Metoclopramide to settle her anorexia inducing nausea and get her eating again. Otherwise, we can at least treat with Tums. She can have 60-120mg every 12 hours and this can just help settle the stomach enough for some dogs to restarting eating. As well, since she is weak and there is risk that her blood sugar is low, we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us.

Of course, if Leia tells us that it isn't enough or has any further paling of her gums, belly pain, or vomiting; then we'd need to plan to have her seen as soon as her vet open for the treatment I noted so we can get her back to eating. And the sooner we do that, the quicker we can get her feeling better and offset any other side effects (blood sugar crashes, her milk drying up, etc) from this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.