Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She has a somewhat thick peeling on her front paw, and she

Customer Question

She has a somewhat thick peeling on her front paw, and she keeps biting at her tail which is now possibly raw from her chewing on it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lily is 11 months, she will be a year at the end of this month
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?
Customer: She's a corgi
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This chewing at the tail and feet is a common sign of allergies in dogs. The most common cause is flea allergies. If she's not on a monthly flea preventative, that would be my first recommendation.

If she's on a flea preventative, then it may be an environmental allergy. These can be to many things- pollens, grasses, ect. To help with the signs, you can give Benadryl at home. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given up to every 6 hours.

Going forward, I would consider allergy testing and immuno-therapy if the signs turn out to be more chronic. This is the best way to deal with allergies in dogs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?