Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

2.5 pound Pomeranian has brownish/cream colored vaginal

Customer Question

2.5 pound Pomeranian has brownish/cream colored vaginal discharge. Noticed it yesterday. I have a clear photo available.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'd be pleased to take a look. You can upload it to our conversation by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

When was she in heat last, please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure when her last heat was, but her vaginal area has been very swollen since I got her 1 week ago
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did that work?

Oh my. That's a purulent (pusy) discharge indicating an open pyometra (a uterine infection with an open cervix which is allowing the pus in the uterus to roll out through her vagina). She was in heat 1-3 months ago. It's fortunate that her cervix is open. It staves off her becoming life-threateningly toxic from the infection. She needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Spaying should be curative.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will get her in early tomorrow! Is there anything i should be doing for her in the mean time? Thank you!

You're quite welcome. Fast her for at least 6 hours prior to her arrival at the vet hospital in preparation for anesthesia and surgery. Water should be left down. She's probably dehydrated and thirsty. She's going to be a new woman shortly!

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?