Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have a dashound who two middle toes are swollen he doesn't

Customer Question

I have a dashound who two middle toes are swollen he doesn't look like he has been bitte. No cuts can I give him nitrofurantoin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No he isntbut has about licked the hair off nursing it
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oliver 4 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?
Customer: He weighs about 7 pounds
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long have Oliver's toes been swollen?

Are they hot to the touch?

Is he able to walk on that foot?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure on hot to touch he is walking but limping about a week n a half
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since you're not able to see any sort of injury or bite/sting on those toes, I can't help but wonder if maybe the bite was so small it wasn't noticed and then got infected.

The thing we worry about in these instances is the possibility of the infection spreading further into the foot and even infecting the whole body.

Since he's had this going on for almost 2 weeks, then I would definitely think that the best thing to do is to have your vet take a peek at it tomorrow, before the weekend rolls around and you get stuck going to an emergency vet.

At your vet, they'll get him on some antibiotics to get the infection cleared up, and may want to put him in an e-collar to keep him from licking until the swelling goes down.

I hope this helps.