Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

My dog parvo and i really dont have money vet im keeping m

Customer Question

My dog parvo and i really dont have money for the vet im keeping him hydrated can i also give him penicillin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is 11 months and we noticed his funny behaviour on monday he seems to be doing ok but not his active self
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Kane's troubles. You can give him penicillin. It won't do anything against the parvo virus but will help protect against secondary bacterial infections. The dose is 0.3-0.5 ml per 10 lbs given under the skin once a day for 3 days.

You're doing the right thing to keep him hydrated. You should withhold food for 12-24 hours and then offer small amounts of a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice once the vomiting has stopped. It's best to feed him a couple tablespoons every 2-3 hours. You can mix the chicken and rice with water and make a slurry in order to get more liquids into him as well.

Parvo can take a week or more to run it's course. It's best to keep him separate from other dogs and as low stress as possible.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Bonk i really hope it can make thru this
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 4 months ago.

The biggest concern is hydration. Make sure his gums stay slimy, not sticky or dry. If he does become dehydrated and is unable to keep water down orally, he will need some under the skin.

You can also give him Pepto Bismol to help settle his stomach at a dose of 1ml per 10lbs every 6-8 hours.

Best of luck to you and Kane!