Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

When can you tell if your dog needs more insulin or less?

Customer Question

when can you tell if your dog needs more insulin or less?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Unfortunately there is no easy way. There is no way at all to tell just by looking at him or by his activity. You can tell if he's recieving too much insulin by a blood sugar test reading over 200mg/dl or from sugar spilling in the urine with a special strip. You should not adjust the insulin unless you have a blood reading only. The urine test just gives us a clue. As for too much insulin again you need a blood sugar test of less than 100mg/dl. The symptoms of way too much insulin would be him losing conciousness or falling over, or having a glazed far off look. Again we have to have blood numbers to adjust the insulin, but if you see the symptoms of falling over and the glazed over look he needs to see the emergency vet immediately. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan