Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

She is 16 years old poodle first she had a disalocated knee

Customer Question

she is 16 years old poodle first she had a disalocated knee they gave her medicine and well hse had diareaa and so then they gave her diaherr medicine i stopped all medicine and now all she does is sleep and she is not eating well for three days now and only drinks water i have to bring it to her bed. when she gets up she cant stand up so long she falls all over
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the poodle. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: bailey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: yes i am going to call tomorrow i know she is old he cant see or hear
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Bailey's problems. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It will help to know what medications she was given for the dislocated knee, and for the diarrhea. Since I can't see and examine her, the more information you give me, the more I can help.

I am worried about her not eating well for 3 days. She may be dehydrated, and that could make her weak. Since she is older, getting dehydrated could affect her kidneys. Have any blood tests been done recently?

Let me know what the medications she was getting are, and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she had a blood test like three weeks ago when she went in for the disloacated knee it was carprofen when gave him the diaherra and i stopped that and they put him on metronidazole which i gave only one pill he has not been on any pill for over a week
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for that information.

Carprofen can cause diarrhea. Metronidazole can help with diarrhea.

If she is not getting carprofen, she is not getting anything for pain. I might try something for pain that is not an anti inflammatory like carprofen is, maybe tramadol.

Were the blood tests all normal?

If she is not eating, I am worried. I would want to know what her blood test show. If she shows any sign of dehydration, she may need supplemental fluids.

Probiotics are a gentle way to try to treat diarrhea and other digestive issues.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I have not heard back from you! Can I answer any more of your questions? Was this helpful?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no he is not eating he gets up to drink a little and maybe a little food but not much i just want to know what to do he is old and well he is not the dog i use to have should i think about putting him down and yes it will be hard, i know if i bring him to the vet which i amgoing to on friday they are going to say leave him here so we can build him up but that cost money and is it going to make him new again i cant see him like this just sleeps all day and sometimes pees himself what do you think
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I would really like to know what blood tests tell about liver and kidney function. I don't see why he would have to stay at the vet unless he is really dehydrated and needs fluids. If he is dehydrated, I would not wait until Friday to get him on some fluids.

You can check for dehydration at home by gently pinching skin over his shoulders and letting go; the skin should be back in position in less than one second. If it takes longer, he needs supplemental fluids. This can be injected under his skin and you can learn how to do this at home.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
well okay I will try that you still did not answer my question, the vet told me his blood work was great and was surprised how well it was at his age. question is what do you think is wrong with him
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Did you check to see if he was dehydrated?

Can you show me a copy of the blood tests? It will help to know what was (and was not) tested for.

Is Bailey a girl or a boy? Sometimes you say she and sometimes he. If a she, is she spayed? There is a problem that could explain these symptoms called a pyometra that happens in unspayed females.

Did you do the test for dehydration? If you check Bailey's gums, are they pink in color or do they seem pale?

Since I can't examine Bailey, let's make a "problem list" to help me try to tell you what could be wrong. From what you are telling me, her problems are:

Not eating

Weak; falling down

Sleeps a lot

Dislocated knee

Is this correct? Based on that there are many things that could be causing these symptoms in a 16 year old dog: Anemia (low blood counts), pain, pancreatitis, liver or kidney disease (even though blood tests 3 weeks ago were normal, these are still possibilities), cancer (blood tests tell nothing about if a dog has cancer), inflammatory bowel disease.

To tell you for sure what is wrong with Bailey, I would need to see the blood tests, and do a physical examination: check the level of hydration, palpate lymph nodes and internal organs. feel the joints and back and spine, listen to heart and lungs with a stethoscope, take the temperature, check the color of the gums, etc.

Bailey sounds sick, painful, and possibly dehydrated and probably in need of medical care.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I did not hear back from you; how is Bailey doing? I hope you were able to see my response to your question. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.