PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

OMG you seriously will try to help? Bella is a small -haired

Customer Question

OMG you seriously will try to help?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Bella is a small long-haired chihuahua. We feed her Science Diet Oral Care which are big pieces so she only gets 6 twice a day. After she eats 1 or two bites she starts acting like she hurts. Yesterday morning she did this but within a couple of hours she acted better. Last night she ate and did the same thing but she still acted funny at bed time and still is this morning.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella, she is 8 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: We had her to the vet about a month ago because she was sick, vomiting and had a slight fever. Then we started doing this but it wouldn't happen everytime she ate and it seemed as though after our second trip to the vet it was happening less and less, until yesterday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Can you describe what you're seeing that suggests pain?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is normally a very happy wiggly, tail wagging baby. When this happens she hangs her head, her tail is down, she walks very gingerly and doesn't really want to walk at all, slightly hunches her back, she is doing the little dog shiver, doesn't want to be touched or picked up, when she lays down it is perfectly straight on her tummy with her head between her front paws.

That certainly sounds like it's not comfortable for her. Have you tried sizing the pieces down a little either by crushing them or moistening them to see if this helps any?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She sleeps in bed with us. Yesterday morning when she woke up, she was jumping all over me running around the bed trying to get me to get up. We got up, went out side, came back in, she ate 1 or 2 bites of her food and started acting like this within minutes of the time she was bouncing around on the bed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She does crush the pieces up when she eats. And she is still acting this way and hasn't had anything to eat since 7pm liast night.

The reason I ask is because if she happens to swallow them down in larger than acceptable sizes, this could very well irritate both her esophagus and her stomach which could cause the pain symptoms that you're seeing.

If this hasn't been tried, I'd give this a shot over the next few days to see if you witness any improvement. It certainly can't hurt.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it's been over 18 hours since she ate, if it were due to too large of bites would they not have dissolved by now?

They should have broken down by now, but that does not mean they would not have caused residual irritation in the esophagus and stomach.

JACustomer, how is your companion doing? Did you have a chance to try the moistened kibble yet? Any improvements?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy