Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My three month old golden retriever puppy swallowed a two

Customer Question

my three month old golden retriever puppy swallowed a two inch rawhide bone (twists at each end) whole
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: he just did it no signs of distress at all..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: will he break it down and pass it?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its not fair to charge my card and not be available

1- How old is he?

2- How much does he weigh?

Note: I am here, need time to read your response and type. Sorry for any delay.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
three months
27 pounds

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, in general rawhide bones are digestible. However, there are times when the dog does not breakdown the rawhide and can become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. There is really no way for us to anticipate which dog will digest the rawhide or pass it in the feces vs the dog that develops an obstruction.

I would recommend you observe him for the next few days. If he becomes lethargic, anorexic, vomiting, difficulty defecating (constipated) or diarrhea then he should be seen by family vet for xrays with barium to rule out an obstruction. For now, just wait. It is very likely he will be able to digest the rawhide or pass it in the stool without any problems.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.