Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Australian Shepherd (14 y.o) has a large lipoma on the

Customer Question

My Australian Shepherd (14 y.o) has a large lipoma on the base of her tail. It has just started weeping. I guess the pressure was too much for the skin. What do I need to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this is a very unfortunate situation if the lipoma has ulcerated her skin by overstretching it. This is because at this point it is very difficult to get the skin to heal or keep infection away. So, the best option would be to have the lipoma removed (or debulked to get as much out as possible) at this point. If that isn't an option, then you will want to ring her vets about anti-inflammatories to try to reduce any swelling and thus size of this. Further to that, we'd need to be salt water bathing the weeping area a few times daily +/- applying OTC antibiotic cream to try to reduce the risk of infection. And if she pays this any mind (as some dogs will chew these areas due to discomfort), then we may need to have her wear shorts or an e-collar to prevent that.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )