Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She had kennel cough a couple of weeks ago we treated with

Customer Question

She had kennel cough a couple of weeks ago we treated with antibiotics but now it sounds like she still congested .. she is sneezing alot .. I brought her back to the vet twice they gave me anow antibiotic but it's not helping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: She's a 4 pound poodle
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Have her vets done any testing?

Was she coughing to start and is now sneezing?

Does she have any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Has she any breathing changes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Vet told me it was a reverse sneeze and I pleaded with him that it wasn't.. the vet never did any test .. she had kennel cough and now it's worst she is sneezing and can't seem to just relax no nasal discharge and no her breathing hasn't changed but she can't be excited or she will have a what looks like a reverse sneeze
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She just sounds congested
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the reason for my question about her cough/sneeze is that kennel cough (as the name suggests) causes coughing. Sneezing can be seen but is more often a feature of Parainfluenza or intranasal disease (ie foreign bodies stuck in the nose, allergies, bacterial rhinitis, polyps, fungal infections, tumors, etc). And I have to note that if she doesn't have nasal discharge and isn't showing improvement on antibiotics alone this raises worries of those other issues.

Therefore, this really would be a stage where we'd want to think about further symptomatic care (ie dog safe anti-inflammatories, decongestants, etc) but also further testing. Specifically, we may need Bella's vet to xray +/- scope (using a scope with a camera) her nasal passage to see what is present and ensure we remove anything stuck and address anything present.

Just to note in the meantime, you can try some supportive care to try to ease her congestion. In regards ***** ***** care options, to start you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her You can also use a baby nebulizer. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make her a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room.

Furthermore, to flush out the nostrils and reduce irritation within them, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball.

Finally, if you suspect allergies or if pollen counts are high today, you can consider a trial on a low dose of OTC antihistamine. Commonly we use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of her body weight twice daily) to reduce allergy induced inflammation. We like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if she has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet.

Overall, I share your concern about Bella. This continued non-antibiotic responsive sneezing without nasal discharge does raise some other worries at her age. Therefore, we'd want to start supportive care but if she isn't settling and very congested, then we'd want to speak to her vet about those other treatment options but consider the above tests to actually see what is present so we can address this properly for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )