Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Under s tail s skin is red and inflamed, He seems to be in

Customer Question

Under his tail his skin is red and inflamed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He seems to be in discomfort and it clearly is itchy
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: We haven't used flea meda
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like you're seeing a staph infection under the tail. These are essentially breaks in the skin barrier where normal staph bacteria from the surface of the skin gets in between skin cells and causes an infection. It will be red, itchy and irritating.

The treatment is usually by clipping the hair and cleaning the skin with a dilute Chlorhexidine solution. I will then use oral antibiotics (Cephalexin) and pain meds (Rimadyl). Topically, you can use something like Neosporin or SSD (silver sulfadiazine) to help it heal faster.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
take him to the vet in the morning?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Yes, I would. These can spread pretty rapidly, so definitely within the next 12-24 hours.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you sure it's a staph infection?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I haven't seen it or done any tests, so I'm not sure. I do think that a staph infection is the most likely.