Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Yelps when opens mouth, Having trouble to chew on s pillow.

Customer Question

Yelps when opens mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Having trouble to chew on his pillow. Been two days. I gave him a carprofen. Let's me look in mouth but when I touch lower right .. Ivan tell he's in pain
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He's an English bulldog.. Nine years old.. He's eating.. Drinking.. Peeing and pooping.. Doesn't chew on sticks .. Always with me or my husband..doesn't Yelp constantly but it is happening
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The main worry I would have here is a condition called MMM (masticatory muscle myositis). This is an auto-immune condition where the muscles tense up and eventually fibrosis sets in. The initial signs we see are pain when opening the mouth.

The diagnosis is typically made during examination. A muscle biopsy can be done to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment is then with immuno-suppressant steroids (Prednisone) +/- other immuno-suppressant meds like Imuran (Azathioprine). A full recovery can be made, but it does take some time to get a response.

Here's a nice link on the condition:

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?