Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog keeps vomiting frothy substance with blood in it

Customer Question

My 2 years old female German Shepherd appears she is throwing up frothy substance and appears to be blood in her vomit. I did give here a Heartgard about an hour before this happened. She is alert and conscious X3. Has appetite and at the present time playing with her ball
Gums look okay too. Concerned that she is throwing up blood. Also she is in heat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.
I don't think I'd be too worried here as long as she's pink and acting normally otherwise. It sounds like something upset her stomach. It may have been the Heartgard, though it's pretty safe in dogs. The blood is probably from some irritation in the stomach and esophagus.

If you want to give something to settle her stomach, you can give Pepcid (Famotidine). You can give 20 mg every 12-24 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.