Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

5 dogs in the house. One of them broke open a bottle of

Customer Question

5 dogs in the house. One of them broke open a bottle of Vitamin D pills and consumed all remaining pills (probably 30-50), probably this morning. Suspect the largest dog (30 lbs/13.64 kg) did it since she is probably the only one strong enough to break the plastic. Pills were 5,000 IU D# ***** D soft gels. If my math is correct, that is a possible dose of .47 mg/kg, which is not good. She seems totally normal. Wondering if I should just watch her, or head to emergency vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy. Border Collie. Age 9. Very healthy.
JA: How old is Daisy?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: No. Very active. No other health problems.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Vitamin D in the form of cholecalciferol will cause acute renal failure when ingested in excess of 1800 IU/lb or 54,000 IU for Daisy. 50 x 5,000 IU = 250,000 IU which could be lethal to her. It's too long ago to induce emesis but an ER can check her renal values and treat her if necessary. Diuresis - promoting urine flow - by rapid IV administration of fluids is the treatment of choice. Yes, an ER visit is important at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doing okay I think. She is at vet on diuresis and has been for about 48 hours. Calcium value went up above normal Friday, but is now back down again. BUN went up last night though, so they want to keep monitoring. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. My best to Daisy.