Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

MY 10 POUND DOG JUST ATE A 25/100 CARBIDOPA/LEVODOPA, SASHA,

Customer Question

MY 10 POUND DOG JUST ATE A 25/100 CARBIDOPA/LEVODOPA
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: SASHA, 3 YEARS OLD
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sasha?
Customer: NO. SHE IS HEALTHY
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it has been 19 minutes since she ate the pill.... I am worried
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has been 19 minutes since she ate the pill... I am worried

Just typing out your answer now ...

You should have it in a few minutes.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Levodopa is only very rarely used in dogs but has been prescribed in dogs for treating hepatic encephalopathy. The initial dose is 3.4mg/lb or ~34 mg for an 10 lb dog. So clearly the dose Sasha got was quite an overdose.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your dog's case expected side effects would include lethargy and incoordination and problems with urination.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

You should have all the information you immediately need in my written reply, however I will still be glad to talk with you on the phone if necessary ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sasha is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the human meds she accidentally took ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.