Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

You told me that my border collie that ate 12 greenies and

Customer Question

You told me that my border collie that ate 12 greenies and 12 dental sticks. You said that she may develop vomiting and diarrhea. Should I give her pepto or Zantac?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

I don't like to use Pepto in dogs. It has aspirin in it and that can actually cause some GI upset in dogs.

I wouldn't give any antacids here either. The reason, is because you want the stomach acid to digest the greenies. When I do use an antacid, I go with Pepcid (Famotidine)- 0.25 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours.

For nausea, I would give Meclizine- 25 mg every 12-24 hours. This is available over the counter in the same area as other motion sickness meds like Dramamine.

For the diarrhea, I would just increase the fiber intake by giving 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin 2-3 times daily.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?