Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 2.5 y/o female newfoundland has been scratching herself

Customer Question

My 2.5 y/o female newfoundland has been scratching herself aggressively for the last several months, and we have now found evidence of broken/damaged skin as a result of her scratching. We've been giving her fish oil supplements with no change in behavior. Most of our research says that she may have a food allergy, but how do we go about figuring out what she's allergic to?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ronald Reupert replied 5 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Reupert . I'm sorry to hear about the itching problem with Calla Lily .
If you see evidence of skin sores and broken skin the majority of the itching is probably caused by a skin infection . Skin infections can be very itchy and they just get worse the more they scratch . Usually I use an oral antibiotic like cephalexin to treat the infection and see what the level of itching there is after 2 to 3 weeks . I have had to use the antibioti for up to 6 weeks to get complete resoution, but it's going to really improve the itching within five to seven days . Benzoyl peroxide shampoo purchased over the counter can also help speed the control of the infection . You will have to make an appointment with a veterinarian to get the cephalexin ...it is a prescription drug .
If you have further questions please write back.