Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Can I give my 30lb dog exlax or Mirlax he has a really hard

Customer Question

can I give my 30lb dog exlax or Mirlax he has a really hard stool and won't eat much which is not him he is a beagle and they are pigs usually
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear that Teddy is straining to defecate. There are certain steps that can be taken to reduce aid in defecation but if there is no change in the next 24 hours please consider a veterinary exam

1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon (more longterm solution)

2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication, even if drinking well

3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate. Walking 15-20 minutes after meals will help encourage that mobility and emptying of the colon

4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin with dinner, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with meals (I feed my dogs a full whole carrots with dinner)

If this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issue

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.