Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I cannot get any of our 8 puppies who are one week old to

Customer Question

I cannot get any of our 8 puppies who are one week old to poop. The mother of puppies doesn't have anything to do with them. I have tried warm cotton balls, baby oil.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if you and their mum are struggling to help them pass stool, we need to tread with care. Just to make sure you are on the right page, you can find a video on how help neonates pass stool (LINK). Do note that this is a video showing how to in kittens but the steps are just the same no matter the species.

Further to manual stimulation, if they are straining then we can use a GI lubricant. To start, you can feed each pup a small dose of OTC cat hairball replacer to get things moving. As a GI lubricant, it will help pass firm feces lingering in the gut just as it would a hairball in cats. As well, if they will take a bottle consider feeding electrolytes (ie Pedialyte) as this will dilute any milk blockages. If the above doesn't get things moving and they will take a bottle, we can also carefully add a few drops of lactuose, food grade mineral oil or Miralax to the electrolyte solution or puppy milk (not give directly). If you use this, do so with care since aspiration of these can cause issue for our wee ones.

Finally, if you try these and still have no feces (or that little belly starts to look distended), then you may need to give a warm water enema. If you do not feel comfortable doing so, then this would be something to have your vet to for you or you can have them dispense a pup safe enema preparation (ie Microlax). If you choose to give an enema, then you will want to take a syringe or eye dropper with luke warm water and lubricate the end of it with K/Y jelly. This can then be gently inserted into the rectum and the water gently injected. The water will help loosen any feces in the lower colon and can be repeated a few times as needed. Of course, if you try this and still have no feces, then we'd want to follow up with you vet to make sure there is nothing causing obstruction that needs to be addressed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Judy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet