Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Im so stressed out and I do not know what to do, my 7 year

Customer Question

Im so stressed out and I do not know what to do, my 7 year old male rat tereir has multiple health problems, he just had a mast cell tumor removed from his face, there were no other tumors found in his body. He has always struggled with diarrhea issues, some days he is fine and playful then other days he seems like he is in pain. He had diarrhea last night, doesn't want to eat and keeps stretching his back legs out behind him. I don't know if his stomach hurts or if his back hurts because a couple of years ago I was told that he had a slight issue in his spine where it meets his hips, I don't know what to treat I have cancer myself and on limited income so Im struggling already with the recent suregery
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Terrie?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is a rat terrier, my speeling weas off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the questions.

If the mast cell tumor was a low grade tumor, then it was likely cured with surgery alone. That's the nice thing about catching mast cell tumors when they are small and not spreading yet. It's a cancer that we can potentially cure with surgery.

When it comes to the GI signs. I would talk with your vet about using a different diet. Something like Royal Canin Fiber Response works well for chronic diarrhea dogs. Another option, is doing a novel protein dietary trial. Here is a link on how this works:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2499

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have already done allergy testing and he is getting home made diet but would not eat raw so its cooked, he has had tummy issues all his life but with the recent start of stretching his back legs behind him I wasn't sure if his tummy is upset or if its his back hurting
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like abdominal pain if it just started with the diarrhea. Some pain meds like Tramadol or Gabapentin would be helpful to resolve those signs.

When it comes to diet, homemade it tough to do. There is a site to consult with a nutritionist and make it work. I would go that route if you don't want to go with a commercial diet.

https://secure.balanceit.com/