Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog appears to have constipation, and has not had a bowel

Customer Question

my dog appears to have constipation, and has not had a bowel movement in over two days. she weights 17 pounds, what should I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Constipation is pretty uncommon in dogs. The most likely cause, is dehydration. The first step I always have owners take is increasing the water intake. You can do this by giving extra water or Pedialyte or Gatorade to increase the fluid intake. Canned food can also help, as it's higher in moisture.

As a true laxative, you can give over the counter Miralax or Laxatone. Miralax is a human product, and you can give 1/2 teaspoon 2-3 times daily, as needed. Laxatone is used most often for cats and hairballs, but it can also be used in dogs to promote bowel movements.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.
Hi Boyd,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?