Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Could advantix 11 cause some vomiting in a 14 year old

Customer Question

could advantix 11 cause some vomiting in a 14 year old female chihuaha about 1 day after being administered? and if so.. would this symptom dissipate quickly?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Advantix is not a medication that is known to cause vomiting. With that said, we can see adverse reactions to any medication depending on how an individual dog reacts. If this is a mild reaction, it should go away on it's own over 24 hours.

If you want to give something today to help settle his stomach, you can use over the counter Famotidine (Pepcid)- 5 mg orally.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has been having slightly elevated liver enzymes and is under care of a vet. She hadn't been vomiting until last night- not a lot - she takes a SamE and milk thistle supplement every morning and I was thinking maybe the advantix may have caused it. I was searching the web for side effects - so this is why I am asking
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Gotcha. With the current liver disease, maybe she didn't metabolize it fully and that is what caused the vomiting. No matter the cause, it should resolve on it's own and be pretty mild. I'm not worried about anything serious or long lasting.