Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Nothing at the moment.. But my sister has a bad case of hand

Customer Question

Nothing at the moment.. But my sister has a bad case of hand foot and mouth disease and I saw my dog licking her. Can my dog catch it and if she can, what can I do?
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I think she's around 7 or 8 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Takei?
Customer: I don't think so. I'm just worried if my dog will catch it..If there is anything I can do since I know she licked my sister who has it. Like right on the bumps or sores, what ever they are.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Hand foot and mouth disease is only seen in humans. Other animals cannot contract it. FMD (foot and mouth disease) is a disease of hooved animals. Dogs and cats are not carriers or susceptible.

Your dog is not at risk here.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?