Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Nothing at the moment.. But my sister has a bad case of hand

Customer Question

Nothing at the moment.. But my sister has a bad case of hand foot and mouth disease and I saw my dog licking her. Can my dog catch it and if she can, what can I do?
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I think she's around 7 or 8 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Takei?
Customer: I don't think so. I'm just worried if my dog will catch it..If there is anything I can do since I know she licked my sister who has it. Like right on the bumps or sores, what ever they are.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Hand foot and mouth disease is only seen in humans. Other animals cannot contract it. FMD (foot and mouth disease) is a disease of hooved animals. Dogs and cats are not carriers or susceptible.

Your dog is not at risk here.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?