Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have an 18 month old fila.....she is about 125lbs.......I

Customer Question

I have an 18 month old fila.....she is about 125lbs.......I think she may have eaten a rat that we have been trying to get rid of.....used dcon.....containing diphacinone......haven't seen the rat for 2 days and she is not herself.....eating grass.....less active but not really I need to take her in?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Rio. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

These rat poisons work by causing internal bleeding. If you look at her gums do they seem pink or do they seem pale? Are there any bruises on her skin, ears, gums? The amount of poison inside a rat would not be enough to sicken a dog her size, but if she got the actual poison it could.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is black so can't see bruising....she also has black gums.....can't tell if her gums are pale
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

If you do see bruises, she may need to be checked and started in the antidote for rat poison, vitamin K 1.

However, her symptoms might indicate some other problem than rat poison. Eating grass can indicate digestive problems. Lethargy can be a sign of dozens of conditions. Having her examined, taking her temperature, might be a good idea.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, typing at the same time! If her gums are black, check the color of her tongue, the pink around her eyes, the insides of her ears for bruises.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ears black too.....I have read that fila are very heat's been 100 plus here.......could that be the problem?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tongue is pink
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

The only way to check would be to take her temperature with a thermometer. Normal is 101 to 102.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Good that her tongue is pink. If I could, I would listen to her heart and lungs, take her temperature, palpate her internal organs and lymph nodes, etc. to begin to try to figure out where her problem is.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is 100.5........she didn't care for that...haha
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Good, she does not have a fever!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just keep an eye on her?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

It might be better to have her checked out by your vet if she is not herself. If she were my own dog, my next step would be a thorough examination: palpating lymph nodes and internal organs, listening with a stethosocope, etc. Is she eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
though not as aggressively as she usually because of her size u don't think she is suffering from secondary poisoning from eating rat?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Let me know how she is doing and if I can answer any more questions for you. If this was helpful, kindly consider rating me with the website!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Her symptoms do not fit with rat poison and the amount of poison in a rat stomach is not likely to sicken a dog her size. If you want to be cautious, you could start her on the antidote, vitamin K 1 ( not K3). Eating a rat could cause illness as rats do carry disease. Having her checked out would be my next step.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

If she got enough rat poison to make her sick, she would have signs of internal bleeding such as bruises, the white of her eyes being red, the conjuctiva around her eyes showing bruising, pale tongue, painful joints. Your veterinarian could tell if is is rat poison by checking how long it takes for her blood to clot.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

How is Rio doing? Can I answer any more of your questions?

If this was helpful, please consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you! Please let me know how she is doing.