Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Harley is a 13 yr old Lab mix, and he has been retching

Customer Question

Harley is a 13 yr old Lab mix, and he has been retching mostly when he drinks water, but not vomiting. He did this 3 times in the last couple of hours.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: My 13 yr old Lab mix has been retching . It happened 3 times, right now he is resting. Sometimes it would start when he drinks water. What can I do for him?
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct? Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the animal eat anything unusual?
Customer: Yes, its a dog. I don't know of anything he ate different. He ate good today. No mess at all
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He has Arthritis, and is on Tramadol 50mg. twice a day, and my Vet said I could increase it to 2 every 8 to 10 hours. He also takes 1/2 Meloxicam once a day. Also vitamins
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Harley
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, distension, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I waited for an answer and was up all night, with no help. I reached my Vet today and Harley has Kennel Cough. I was charged $5.00 on my charge card. I'd like that removed.