Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My rat terrier went out into s fenced in yard about 30 mins

Customer Question

My rat terrier went out into his fenced in yard about 30 mins ago & there happened to b a raccoon in the dark corner where I couldn't see. Well, they fought. All I could mainly see was Rascal on top of coin. I got them separated. Coin went over fence & I brought Rascal in immediately. I only found one puncture wound & kinda slit open under skin. I cleaned it up & put Neosporin on it then read that you could use it & don't use it. I wrapped his ankle w gauze over Neosporin & then taped it. I'm nervous & want to do right by him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your rat terrier bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, not at all.
JA: Phew. What is the rat terrier's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** is 8 1/2 yrs old & has had the 3 yr rabies shot with 1 yr left.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rascal?
Customer: No, no other abrasions or bites. He's very healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is he walking normally on the leg?

Can you take a photo of these wounds so I can assess them? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.