Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Dog has been missing meals a week, panting a lot. I found a

Customer Question

Dog has been missing meals for about a week, panting a lot. I found a dead tick on him 2 days ago with evidence he'd been bitten. He take oral tick mess but missed his last months dose
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He still drinks water but won't eat at his normal time. I tried to get him back on schedule by skipping a meal but no luck.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Does he eat normally at other times?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting? Any diarrhea?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

You noted a tick bite, what does it look like just now? Red, inflamed, sore?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A week for missing his meal time. I'll leave the food out and he'll eat it later in the day. No to all the symptoms. I haven't found any items in the house that he shouldn't have eaten. I can't locate the bite mark any more, it must have healed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that he hasn't any of those signs and is eating even if its later in the day. In regards ***** ***** behavior, we can see it for a number of subtle reasons and the tick is likely a red herring. Now I cannot see his age listed, but if he is older then a few years then the most common reason for delay in eating is actually oral discomfort. This can be due to sores in the mouth (an issue at any age), dental disease, growths, or even ulcers from kidney disease in the mouth or throat. For these, we often need to have the mouth and throat examined by their vet, but if he isn't on canned food already, you could try him on a soft diet to see if that changes his habits.

Otherwise, we can also see this with low grade nausea. Even if they aren' t vomiting some dogs will delay eating until they are feeling up to it. In regards ***** ***** you can consider a trial on an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These can just soothe mild upset and if present help get him eating.

Finally, I'd note that we can sometimes see this with dogs that aren't coping well with the heat, who are stressed, those bored with their diet, or those with underlying health conditions (ie stomach ulcers, masses, organ issues, etc). So, it can be a challenging situation if they do start to show such reluctance to eat normally. Therefore, with this in mind, we'd want to consider a soft diet +/- an antacid to rule out those most common suspects. Though if his signs linger, then a check up with his vet would be ideal to make sure nothing else is lurking and to have them dispense an appetite stimulant to give him a push to eat as normal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?